Wednesday 23 January 2013

Book Review - The Encyclopedia Of Stitches

While out Christmas shopping I came across this book in a discount book store: "The Encyclopedia Of Stitches" edited by Karen Hemingway. 


The cover first caught my eye with the lovely picture of a sampler stitched in brightly coloured threads. After a quick leaf through and at only £5.99 for the hardback I knew I had to get it.


There are chapters on counted thread work, free embroidery (including sections on beadwork, silk ribbon embroidery, stumpwork and more), cut work, smocking and canvas work, with a short introduction into preparing and mounting fabric.  While the chapters don't comprehensively cover any of the areas, they do still present a good variation of stitches.  Each section starts with a brief suggestion about the type of fabrics and threads to use, followed by the stitch guides, and then a project at the end. There are lots of bold, bright colours, which appeals to me, and gives some of the more traditional needlecrafts, like canvas work, a bright, modern look.  The stitch guides are clear and well illustrated although at times a little short.






I would class myself as a beginner embroiderer - I have done some embroidery but there are a lot of stitches and techniques in the book that I haven't tried or come across before.  So I think this would be a great book for someone like me, or someone with a little more experience looking to expand their embroidery repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful book, and it give some so cute ideas of samplers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm always thrilled to get feedback and appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.